Sunday, August 13, 2006

Why I hate GPS!

As I drove down England and France this year, I made a startling discovery. I hate GPS. Now, I have to admit that I dont have one of those fancy GPS/Sat Nav systems on my car and being the gadget freak that I am - i always expected to want one. but no! It is SO BORING! Where is the fun in having a computer generated voice issue instructions as you attempt to grapple with the traffic of the M25 or try to work out which lane I needed to be in for one of those bizarre French exits? Nope. Not interested. Mainly because the idea of sitting with my maps and planning my routes is one of the best things about holidays for me. I love planning the route and working out what is the best way to go - to avoid the traffic at what time of day. Maybe I am my own Sat Nav system? Probably not as reliable - certainly not as accurrate - but still, when I go from A to B I like to be able to look out the window and not have to keep concentrating on the little screen in the corner of my dashboard. So please, dont buy me one for Christmas - just a nice, traditional map or two will do the job just fine . . . . .

No comments: