Friday, August 04, 2006

The Informating Super Highway!


For a while now I have been struggling to reconcile the need that students have for ICT skills and for them to be able to process their thoughts in a logical manner in order to use the ICT to access appropriate information. For about 9 years I have been writing web sites. I have tried to consider the options available to me to allow students the opportunity to access useful information 24/7. As families have continued to increase their access to computers and the internet, I have found that students are increasingly interested in accessing information out of hours. I would be the first to admit that my sites are not the most technologically advanced - they don’t have all of the interactive features you might find on some. But then my job is not to be a web site developer but as an educator. My aim is to provide the information that students actually need to develop - The information that they need to complete tasks, homework and revision. For too long I have been fixated with the technological issues involved in this. But now I am realising that what I am doing by default is probably the best way to go. The key is in providing quality information that can be accessed for learning. So what is the next step? In addition to web blogs, podcasts for revision classes and bulletin boards – I am attempting to create a number of activities that strengthen the creativity of the students and act as enhanced accelerated learning lessons. It does take a lot of time to develop these – so watch this space!

No comments: