Sunday, September 10, 2006

Conversation not delivery


David Warlick noted about Online learning, "Learning is taking place through conversation and not delivery".

The more that I experience the joys of what some call web 2.0, the more that I realise that I am learning because my world is getting bigger. I am looking for information from people from all round the world and bookmark them so that I continue to learn from people that I respect. Blogging gives me a framework for learning. It, in itself does not actually promote learning. The learning comes from my desire to optimise the expereince that I have online. My learning therefore comes because I contribute, I think, I type and I post. I comment on the thoughts of a student or a colleague or someone I have never met.

Blogging allows me to communicate my thoughts with the world - in the hope that maybe, just maybe, someone in the world will read and talk back.

Blogging is not just some gimmick. It is a valuable learning tool that allows students to communicate and learn together. If we want our students to connect socially, we need them to connect interactivley as well!

1 comment:

T Manson said...

Ah Dan, I thank you for your most valid of contributions!